16 May 2009

Hearty Quinoa Stew

En français ici.
One of my favorite things about having a cooking blog is being part of a community of other wonderful accomplished and learning cooks -- and stealing their recipes! (Er, I mean, borrowing.)


When I saw this recipe for Peruvian Quinoa Stew on Equal Opportunity Kitchen, it looked so delicious and comforting that I immediately put the ingredients on my shopping list. I'm already a quinoa convert, but if you've never tried it, this would be a great place to start. It's easy to cook with (no more difficult than rice or pasta), yummy and apparently very good for you. I've been using a delicious mix of red and white quinoa for the past year in dishes like this Quinoa Salad with Fresh Basil and last week's Tabouli.

This stew did not dissapoint. (Thanks Giz!) It was just as hearty and comforting as I imagined. I had some sausages in the fridge so I added those, and they went very well.

(serves 4)

1/2 cup quinoa (red, black, yellow or a mix)
1 cup water

2 large sausages (I used onion and white wine sausages and they were wonderful. You could also use turkey sausages, soy sausages or leave them out entirely.)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small carrots, peeled and sliced

1 red pepper, chopped
1 large zucchini (courgette), cubed
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground coriander
4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
a pinch of cayenne (about 1/4 tsp)

1 can (13oz - 383g) peeled tomatoes with juice
1 cup water


Rinse quinoa and place in a small pot with 1 cup water. Cover and cook until soft (about 15 minutes).

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and brown the sausages (if using) in the soup pot. Remove the sausages and add the onions and garlic. (I cooked them directly in the sausage fat, but you could drain the fat if you prefer.) Sauté about 5 minutes, and then add the carrots and cook another 5 minutes.

Add the red pepper, zucchini, cumin, curry powder, coriander, thyme and cayenne pepper. Stir one minute until well combined and then add the sausage, tomatoes and water (about 1 cup, or enough to just cover the vegetables). Cover and let simmer until vegetables are tender (about 15-20 minutes).

Stir in quinoa, bring back to a boil and serve hot topped with cheese (I used Parmesan). This stew is even better the next day after the flavors have had some time to sit, so make enough for leftovers!



I'm submitting this to Bookmarked Recipes, hosted this week by Divya at Dil Se... The rules to participate are here. Look for the roundup on Monday!

6 comments:

giz said...

Well moss certainly doesn't grow under your feet. I really like your addition of the sausage and glad you enjoyed the stew. I love it.

Unknown said...

Lovely recipe! Thanks a lot for sending it to the event!

Sam said...

I really like quinoa, it's so easy to cook I don't know why it's not more popular.

This looks really delicious, it's good that it's healthy too!

Katharine said...

Thanks for the tasty recipe with quinoa. It is one of the few alkaline grains, and it is high in protein - very nutritious and healthful! I'm always looking for ways to make it interesting to the palate. Dad and I had a delicious quinoa breakfast pilaf, slightly sweetened, when staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge in Florida. Quinoa takes a little getting used too, I think. Sometimes I cook it with millet, half and half, to make the texture a little more substantial. Great addition to your blog! Love, Mom

PS I (thought I) posted a comment earlier week on this very entry but it doesn't seem to have shown up. Strange...

Katharine said...

Aha! Found earlier comment on the en francais post. Didn't realize separate comments sections for les deux langues. Mystery solved. :)

Hopie said...

Giz - Nope, no moss. It just sounded so good, I couldn't wait! Thanks again!

Divya - Thank you for hosting :-)

Sam - I know, it's versatile too! Glad to find someone else who likes it.

Mom - Glad you figured out the two posts thing. I was surprised you were reading my entry in French ;-) I love quinoa, so yummy, and I'm glad it's healthy too.