13 June 2009

Matin et une tarte pomme-fraises/ Morning and Apple-Strawberry Pie


Yesterday morning, the sunrise was so beautiful - red and pink over the rooftops of Paris - that it almost made me want to wake up at 5:30am every day. Almost. You see, I respect people that get up early, but I'm more of a night owl. I like the calm of 2am, the empty streets, the sleeping birds, the all-to-myself feeling of it all. (Though, it's true that if you want Paris to yourself, the best time to go out is Sunday before noon.) And there's nothing like cooking at night, the smell of chocolate chip cookies filling the evening air after a long day...mmm.

Hier, le lever du soleil était tellement beau, tous ces roses et rouges au-dessus des toits de Paris, que j'ai presque eu envie de me lever à 5h30 tous les matins. Enfin, presque. Je respecte profondement ceux qui aiment se lever tôt, mais si je suis mon rythme naturel, je suis plutôt un oiseau de nuit. J'aime le calme de 2h du matin, les rue vides, les oiseau endormis, le sentiment que tout est pour moi seule (enfin bon, si tu veux l'impression que Paris est à toi, il suffit de sortir dimanche avant midi). Et il n'y a presque rien de mieux que cuisiner la nuit, l'odeur des cookies aux pépites de chocolat dans l'air du soir après une journée chargée... miam.


Nights, like rainy days, seem to place no demand on me. They say, "Go on, curl up in your pajamas, finish that book, take notes in the margins, figure out the secrets of the universe; they're all yours! No one else is awake!" Whereas mornings and sunny days say, "What are you lazing about for? Go do something useful with your life! Get outside; the world needs saving!"

J'ai l'impression que la nuit, tout comme les journées de pluie, n'a rien a me demander. Elle me dit "Vas-y, tu peux te blottir contre ton oreiller en pijamas et finir ce livre, écrire tes notes dans les marges, comprendre les secrets de l'univers ; il sont à toi ! Tout le monde dort !" Alors que le matin, comme les journées ensoleillées, me dit, "Qu'est-ce que tu fais là sur ton canapé ? Fais quelque chose de ta vie ! Va dedors et sauve le monde !"


Je suppose que les deux sont importants. Et vous ? Quand est-ce que vous préférez être eveillé ? Faire la cuisine ?

I guess both are important. How about you? When do you do your best thinking? Cooking?


One of the most important things if I'm going to get up in the morning, is the idea of a delicious breakfast waiting for me. Since our CSA has been stocking us with apples all winter, in a strange combination (season-wise) a couple weeks ago, I had both apples AND strawberries in the house. I decided to make this apple-strawberry pie, perfect for an early morning (or late-night snack). I put it together in a similar recipe to my apple-pear pie from last October, but with strawberries instead of pears. The more flavorful the strawberries, the better this pie is, so get them while they're in season!

La chose la plus importante si je vais me lever tôt, c'est d'avoir un bon petit déjeuner qui m'attend. Puisque notre panier bio nous a regalé de pommes tout l'hiver jusqu'à il y a quelque semaines, à un moment j'ai eu le plaisir rare d'avoir en même temps des pommes ET des fraises à la maison. J'en ai fait cette tarte, basée sur ma recette de tarte pomme-poire de cette automne. Comme pour tous les fruits, plus les fraises sont goûteuses, plus la tarte est bonne !

8 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Nice skies and a delicious tart!

Cheers,

Rosa

Cicero Sings said...

I do my best thinking and work in the morning. By afternoon I need a nap and by about 9:30-10:00 ... I'm toast ... sad to say. That pie looks so yummy. Maybe I'll make a pie soon.

mickymath said...

magnifiques photos! j'aimerais un morceau de la tarte! biises micky

Just Cook It said...

What a lovely post.

Hopie said...

Rosa - Thank you :-) A pink theme for the day!

Cicero - Guess you get to see the sunrise often then! I guess every person had a different rhythm and sometimes it even changes over time!

Micky - Merci beaucoup ! Et merci d'être passée par ici !

Alex - Thank you :-)

Sam said...

Your photos are brilliant, what a beautiful sunrise.

The pie sounds really good. We don't tend to cook strawberries in England, maybe it's time I tried it!

PG said...

Beautiful sky. I'm with you on the 2am business. Unfortunately, my night owl days are over now that I have to work regular hours. Oh hope I miss it!

I'd love some applie strawberry pie right now.

Hopie said...

Psychgrad - I know what you mean. Working business hours does put a cramp in the night owl lifestyle! Maybe that's why I wanted to be an actress and work at night (although for real, I guess you end up working in the morning too...)