12 March 2010

Adopt a Blogger: Carrot Soup with Ginger and Lemon

En français ici.
This is now my third round of Adopt a blogger. I'm starting to have a real culinary blog family, thanks to Kristen who puts this all together! To add to Psychgrad and Giz my mentors and Nicola my very first adoptee, I've now adopted Julie from the blog A Little Bit of Everything.

Julie is a newbie blogger from Nebraska. For those unfamiliar with US geography, although Nebraska is part of what we call the "midwest", it's pretty close to smack in the middle of the country. I've missed most of the middle of the country in my travels (something I'd love to remedy some day), and I'm having fun discovering some of it through Julie's blog. She's always lived in the midwest, and always enjoyed cooking. A Little Bit of Everything is just that (I don't see what she needs my help for!). Julie blogs her way through her stacks of recipe books, including old favorites and new adventures. Although she particularly loves baked goods (and who can blame her), Julie often posts simple and healthy recipes for everyday as well. One such recipe particularly caught my eye...


I have to say I've been getting sick of winter vegetables. Sick of roots. Sick of the same old same old. I can't wait for spring to show up in my CSA! In the meantime, I've been looking for new ways to use my vegetables. So when I saw Julie's Carrot Soup with Ginger and Lemon, I got excited. Yes, despite the fact that I've had them every week for about three months, I got excited about carrots. And boy was I right to. The flavor is subtle and warming all at once. I definitely recommend this soup. It may even make you sad that winter vegetable season is ending soon.



Serves 4

2 Tbsp olive oil
2 small-medium onions, chopped
1 Tbsp finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
1 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1 tsp ground cumin
3 cups (or more) chicken or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Sour (or heavy) cream

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes. Add ginger and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add chopped carrots, tomato paste, grated lemon peel, cumin and sauté 1 minute. Add stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.

(In the meantime, go hang out and browse A Little Bit of Everything for more delicious recipes!)

Puree soup in batches in blender (or in pot with an immersion blender). Return soup to pot. Mix in lemon juice. Bring soup back to a simmer and thin with more stock if desired. Serve hot with cream and garnish with garam masala or croutons.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

awww, Nebraska, my home sweet home!
And this soup looks super tasty, I'll definitely stick to the vegan friendly ingredients, and write it down!
<3

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delightful soup! What a great blend of flavors!

Cheers,

Rosa

PG said...

Nice to meet your new adopted blog. Doe that mean that we're now vicariously adopting great-grandchildren blogs. I feel so old. :)

Actually, we just posted about our adopted blog too.

Agrigirl said...

I think the soup looks lovely but I can definitely relate to being tired of roots this time of year. I have a lot of turnips and beets on hand and am hoping to get through them tomorrow. I love that you adopt bloggers.

Ivy said...

Congratulations for adopting another blog. The soup sounds delicious with wonderful flavours.

Anonymous said...

Trust me, I know exactly how you feel about the winter vegetables. I've been seeing a lot of carrot soups around the internet lately - the bright color just flies in the face of winter!

giz said...

How cool that we both posted Adopt A Blogger on the same day. We'll have to check your adoptee out and welcome them to the fold. Sad to see winter vegetables go is a bit of a stretch but must admit the soup looks very appealing.

Hopie said...

Kirstin - It definitely is tasty. I hope you enjoy it!

Rosa - Thank you!

Psychgrad - Yes you are an wise old sage blog now ;-) Yay for growing adopt-a-blogger families.

T McLeod - Yea the adopt a blogger program is definitely a fun one. Love to know what you do with those turnips and beets!

Ivy - Thanks!

Camille - Yea, bright colors are very important at this time of year. I did see a couple crocuses on the butte Montmartre though this week, which put me a good mood!

Giz - It must be that adopter/adoptee psychic connection ;-) No, you're right. I'll be happy to see winter veggies go, but in the meantime, this is a nice soup!

Nicola said...

Wow that soup looks delicious, I absolutely adore ginger and welcome to my new sister :)

http://off-thebeatentrack.blogspot.com/ said...

Yummy, yummy soup - off to try this asap...
Loving being back in blogland - at long last..!
Thanks for your kind words in my absence..^_^

Maria said...

I made an Indian carrot soup just last week ... it was delicious. I can imagine how good this recipe must be as well. Looks divine and I love how the cream looks in the photo.