25 March 2011

Squash-Leek Soup with Coconut Milk and How to Survive Spring


Some people call the season that starts on March 20th Spring, but I prefer to call it "be prepared for anything." We are now in the transition space, the exciting first warm days space, the back to cold snaps space, the first few flowers space and the everybody gets a cold space.

How is it that we blog all winter long (and thank goodness we do) about how to survive the cold and the dreariness, but nobody blogs about how to survive the coming of spring?


I would suggest that the way to do so it is two-fold:

1. Go outside and enjoy the flowers - or early bird songs, or first snow melts, or the visibly longer days. Get some sun on your face. Take some pictures. Sit in the park and watch the kids play (can you believe people pay me to do that? I love it.). Look for the little changes every day.


And...

2. Have some good soup on hand. The nights are still cold. April showers are on their way, and if you come down with a cold (as I did this week), you'll be happy to have some homemade soup waiting to be heated up and make you feel better.

Happy spring everybody!!



1 Tbsp ghee (or butter)
1 onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp curry powder
1 small piece of fresh ginger, minced
1 pinch cayenne
1 winter squash
chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup coconut milk

Melt the ghee in a large pot on low heat and add the onions and leeks. Leave to caramelize slowly. In the meantime, peel the squash and chop into cubes. Turn up the stove to medium heat and add the garlic and spices. Cook 1 or 2 minutes, stirring. Add the squash and enough broth to just cover it. Add 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Bring to boil, cover and simmer until the squash is tender (about 20 minutes). Add the rest of the coconut milk and puree the soup (in batches in a mixer, or with an immersion blender). Serve hot.

10 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

True! Happy Spring to you too.

That soup must be delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

What a cute photo! Yes, spring is in the air - enjoy.

David Newhouse said...

Being under the weather today myself, I want your soup! I want to be playing in the park with Lilou! I want to see my favorite blogger! Oh wait, I get to do that very soon :-)))))

Cicero Sings said...

Happy Spring Hopie!

A fun photo! I do hope spring is here to stay. Today was a real "melt" day and I hope it continues. I've read that some have received yet another snow storm. I sure hope it doesn't come our way. I've been busy baking cookies. Not all for me either or I'd be a blimpo before spring was, for sure, confirmed in its coming!

PG said...

Spring can be a trying time. Just when you think you're in the clear, more snow. Feel better soon!

Hopie said...

Rosa - I love anything with coconut milk and the combo is pretty great :-) Happy spring!

Agrigirl - Thanks! I hope you get some lovely spring air this weekend!

Dwads - I wish we lived closer so I could bring over soup! I found this park with boys (but it is more fun to play in the park with Lilou for sure :-))

Cicero - I'm crossing my fingers for good weather and no more snow for you up there!!

Psychgrad - Exactly. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I love curried squash soup. And I think that sun-on-your-face tip is the most important one of all.

giz said...

I can eat soup any time of the year. I like this one and have never used coconut milk in soup - I know, I'm living under a rock. Happy Spring to you - get out and smell the blossoms....woo hoo!!!

Caroline said...

This soup looks delicious! It's not even close to feeling like spring here right now - 27 degrees F, yesterday! I actually just finished off my stash of your butternut squash soup this weekend, what a great recipe. I can't wait to make that one again - and maybe incorporate this new recipe, too!

Hopie said...

Camille - I know...need. sun. now.

Giz - I can't believe you haven't had soup with coconut milk. You must try it ASAP!

Caroline - Well I'd be honored if you borrowed a few of my ideas for your next batch of soup ;-) Definite soup weather over there!