18 January 2009

Lamb with Hearts of Romaine

En français ici.
Recently the chiropractor told me I needed to eat more fruits and vegetables and less starchy foods. I love fruits and veggies, no problem there but, in the winter, I also like to eat the kind of warming foods that make you feel good and cozy when it's cold outside. (Not to mention that winter veggies tend to be pretty starchy!) It's not like I'm going to survive on salads, something that would be possible in the summer...

But wait! What about cooked salads? Warming AND fits the veggie requirement. That's when I remembered that there's a competition right now on the cooking blog Panier de saison for recipes with cooked greens in them: Cuisinez vos salades ! The idea is to try cooking a green leafy vegetable that is not usually cooked (so, no spinach for example). Ok, so it's in French, but I've decided to translate the recipe I entered so that you all can follow along.


Lamb with Hearts of Romaine

1kg lamb, cut into medium-sized pieces
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
salt, pepper

4 small hearts of romaine
4 Tbsp fresh dill, minced

2 eggs
1 tsp cornstarch
juice of 1 lemon



Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and let cook 2-3 minutes. Turn up the heat and put in the lamb to brown for about 10 minutes, turning over the pieces frequently.

Salt and pepper to taste and pour in enough water to just cover the meat. Cover the pot and let simmer about 1 hour.

Wash and chop the hearts of romaine. After the meat is done simmering for an hour, add the lettuce and dill. Stir and cover the pot. Let cook another 15 minutes before removing from heat while you prepare the sauce.

In a bowl, beat the eggs. Dilute the cornstarch in a bit of water and add to eggs, beating until well mixed. Add the lemon juice and, while continuing to beat the mixture, slowing pour in 1/2 a cup of the juice from the pot that the meat and vegetables were cooking in.

Add the sauce to the meat, only stirring very gently. Put back on the burner on low for a couple minutes but be careful not to bring to a boil or the sauce might curdle. Serve warm with dill garnish.

10 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Delicious! This combo is fantastic!

Cheers,

Rosa

Maria said...

Greek Fricasse is one of my favorites and your dish looks amazing. It's been a long while since I made some. Looks like I might have to add a few more items to this week's shopping list.

Ivy said...

As Maria says we call it fricasse in Greece and it is delicious. I usually make it with pork.

Cicero Sings said...

What an interesting recipe ... we might have to give that a try.

Chiropractor? Oh dear, what have you done to yourself to have to go?

Sam said...

I've never tried cooking lettuce before, sounds like a great recipe, what cut of lamb did you use?

Hopie said...

Rosa - Thank you! It was very yummy.

Maria and Ivy - I've gotten a couple Greek and Mediterranean cookbooks lately and I've been experimenting! It certainly is good. I bet it would be yummy with pork too.

Cicero - I have a tendency for back problems. I was in a lot of pain this fall so I started going to the chiropractor and now I go once a month to keep things in line.

Sam - I didn't have much experience with cooked salad either, but I like it. Oh dear, I'm not sure about the cut...the one that was on sale at the supermarket ;-) I'm sure it would work with most cuts though.

Katharine said...

I'm inspired by the recipe and its designation in the "Festive" category. Looks like a winner for Easter! Now if only I could get Dad to agree to lamb... Love, Mom

Hopie said...

Mom - Funny you should say so because apparently (according to the recipes I looked at), it is a Greek dish often eaten at Pascha! You could make it with some other meat (Ivy says pork for example), but the lamb certainly is yummy.

PG said...

I find my fruit consumption really goes down in the winter. I would never have thought to cook with romaine. Very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy!

Denise
http://WineFoodPairing.blogspot.com