04 June 2008

Obama Cocktail

Ok, this is not a political blog and I don't intend to deter those of who disagree with me or don't care about politics (you might be wrong, but I still like you ;-)), but I'm toooooooo excited! You know, like jumping up and down and yelling and waking up the neighbors excited - Barack Obama is officially the Democratic nominee! As D.K. so eloquently puts it:

OBAMA, OBAMA, OBAMA!!
OBAMA, OBAMA, OBAMA!!

Ah, pardon, je me laisse emporter. Ce n'est pas un blog politique et je n'ai nullement l'intention d'en faire, mais, comme D.K. ce matin, je ne peux plus me retenir ! Barack Obama va être le candidat democrate pour l'élection présidentielle ! Je suis cette campagne de très près (j'ai même accroché une carte des Etats-Unis avec les dates de toutes les primaires democrates par état dans mon ancienne cuisine), et je crois que la victoire d'Obama est une très bonne chose pour le pays (après il n'y a qu'à espérer qu'il continue à gagner !).

In search of a way to celebrate that won't ruin my welcome in the new building, I decided a recipe would be just the thing. I was inspired by this delicious-looking Barack Pie, created by Veronica Chambers, but it required a number of ingredients I was unlikely to find in Paris, and with rehearsals in full swing I couldn't go traipsing around looking for them. Well then, I thought, how about raising a glass to the man of the hour? This is how I came up with the Obama cocktail. I call it Hope for Obama ;-) It's black and white like the communities Barack comes from; it's yummy like his delicious speeches; and it's a twist on the traditional White Russian, just like Barack is a twist on the traditional old white man nominee.

J'ai été inspirée dans ma célébration par une auteure, Veronica Chambers, qui a publié une recette "multi-culturelle", la Barack Pie, en s'inspirant de l'enfance d'Obama entre le Kenya et Hawaii. La pie à l'air délicieux, mais il y avait des ingrédients que je n'étais pas sûre de trouver facilement à Paris. Donc, je vous propose plutôt de trinquer avec moi en buvant un "Cocktail Obama" !

Commencer par mettre des glaçons dans vos verres à cocktail (en forme de coeur si vous aimez vraiment Obama):



First, put a few ice cubes in each glass (heart-shaped ones if you I really love Obama). Then add some Kahlua. Someone will know better than me about measurements -- more or less depending on how much you like Kahlua and how drunk you want to get to celebrate...


Ajouter un peu de liqueur de café (j'ai utilisé la liqueur mexicaine Kahlua que vous pouvez trouver chez un caviste qui vend des spiritueux). Puis, à part, mélanger un peu de rhum ambré avec du lait. Je ne suis pas barman, donc je ne sais pas quoi vous dire pour mesurer. Plus vous en mettez, plus vous allez "fêter" la victoire de Obama j'imagine ! C'est le caviste qui m'a conseillé de tordre un peu une petite cuillière et de verser le mélange de lait et rhum dessus pour qu'il tombe doucement sur le kahlua sans se mélanger. D'ailleurs, le caviste s'est passionné par mon projet de Obama Cocktail.

Mix together some dark rum (you know, to get that island feel, island - Hawaii, it made sense in my head) and milk. Again, I'll trust you for the measurements. You can always taste test before pouring it in. If you want to keep the levels of alcohol separate for serving, the caviste who sold me the Kalhua (and was very interested in my Hope for Obama Cocktail) suggested bending a small spoon up a little and drizzling the rum/milk mix on that so it would spread out slowly over the Kahlua. I was very impressed with his idea so I gave it a try with pretty good results:


Et voilà -- the official Hope for Obama Cocktail!
Santé !

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tchin-tchin ! Yes we can!

Katharine said...

To Obama! To Hope! To Hope for Obama!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

C'est une première!!! A suivre... Un joli cocktail!

Bises,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Hooray! The primaries are finallly over! :) Frankly, I didn't really care who won, as long as they have what it takes to beat that smarmy flip-flopper McCain.

Your cocktail looks delicious!

giz said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog - you are a welcome visitor

Hopie said...

D.K. and Mom - Thanks to you both! Yay YAY!

Rosa - Oui! J'espère que ses actes vont suivre ses discours. On ne sait jamais avec des hommes politiques -- par contre le cocktail est aussi bon que cela en à l'air ;-)

Camille - True, that's the important part. It is a relief to be able to move on to the real campaign! And to be able to drink yummy cocktails, of course. I hope I will have cause to drink more in the future

Hopie said...

Giz - my pleasure! I just discovered it, but I'll be back. And you're always welcome here.

Anonymous said...

I was really excited too!

Hopie said...

Yay Obama! I'm pretty impressed with the American people on that one.

Anonymous said...

yay :)

taxishoes said...

Wow, Hope. This is hysterical. Also great that your name fits so well into the campaign. ;^)

Hopie said...

Hehe. I actually ordered a bumper sticker from Barack Obama's website a while back that says "Got Hope?" and Laney put it on her car (which is the car that I use when I'm in the US) ;-) All my other hope stickers went away when my parents sold my car...

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

Moi aussi je suis de le savoir candidat - keeping my fingers crossed for the next stage..:)

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

Dis donc Hope, tu pouvais pas faire moitié-moitié entre la liqueur de café et le lait+rhum, histoire de respecter la parité?

Comment ça je suis rabat-joie? :-)
Très belle initiative en tout cas!

Hopie said...

Marie - Ah, tu cherches des embrouilles, toi ! Enfin, tu ne le vois pas là, mais le rhum est foncé aussi, donc ça s'equilibre, et voilà !