10 May 2008

Blueberry Pancakes

En français ici.
Despite the craziness of preparing the new apartment and packing for the BIG MOVING DAY (May 26th), I was happy to have my friend Jessica come to visit this weekend before she moves back to the US after her year in France. One of the things that makes Jessica a perfect friend for me is her love of food. We agree that food is serious stuff that one should have a lot of fun with and always take time to appreciate while consuming.

I would have liked to have time to bake for real this weekend, but parts of the apt still look like this:
No your eyes aren't playing tricks - there's not even a floor yet!

And there's so little time! Still, when I saw inexpensive blueberries at the Asian Fruits et Légumes in my neighborhood, I knew I had to find time for a little interlude Sunday morning: blueberry pancakes with butter and blueberry coulis. Blueberries aren't very common in France and I was very excited to have found some (earlier in the week I made some blueberry muffins based on this recipe)!

My pancake recipe comes from my Daddy - super guest star of this week's Sunday Baking. When I was little, he would get up with us after the 7am birds on the radio with Robert J. Lurtsema (super mega points if you can tell where I grew up from that clue). He would make pancake batter as everyone sleepy-eyed made it to the table, and then I was in charge of cooking the pancakes. I was super proud to be the official pancake-cooker in my house and refused to sit down and eat myself until everyone else had had at least one serving of pancakes. Ah, the childhood of a future gourmande. In season, or when we had frozen blueberries, we would make blueberry pancakes and while they were cooking we always sang this song written my friend's dad that went:

Pancakes on the griddle
Pancakes on the griddle

The fat ones have the sweetest middle

Pancakes on the griddle

Ahem, anyway, this morning I decided to make these pancakes for Jessica and D. (they were lucky I skipped the song). Since I haven't been able to find any wheatgerm in France, I usually substitute chestnut flour (farine de chataigne), which is pretty yummy too.

Er, can you tell we consumed a couple platefuls before I thought of taking a picture?

Daddy Pancakes:

  • Beat 3 eggs.
  • Add 1- 1 1/4 cups milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract and stir.
  • Add without stirring:
1/3 cup white flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup wheatgerm (or chestnut flour)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp sugar
  • Stir dry ingredients a little bit on top; then stir all the ingredients together.
  • Add 1/4 - 1/3 cup oil. Stir and cook (I like to put the pan on the stove to heat up while I'm making the batter, that way it's all ready when I want to make the pancakes).
  • Put 5 or 6 blueberries in each pancake as soon as you put the batter in to cook and be careful when flipping!
I know it's time to flip the pancakes when the air bubbles in the middle are popping and the edges start to look dry. I don't flip them more than once (I'm always shocked and horrified when people do) because it takes away the fluffiness from the rising.

11 comments:

Katharine said...

You have a trio of Dads included in your blueberry pancake extravaganza: your own Daddy's original recipe; song composed by Emily, Tim and Mel's Dad; and directions for when to flip pancakes which I learned at my Papa(your Granddad)'s side on Sunday mornings which in our household were alternately pancake or waffle breakfasts. (My Mom's job was to make the bacon or sausage to accompany.)

Blueberries exploded and sweet in the pancakes is another level of delight. Must be eaten with real maple syrup!

Love,
Mom

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, yummy! I love blueberries and pancakes!

Cheers,

Rosa

Hopie said...

Mom - wow, I didn't even realize it was such a dadfest!

Rosa - yup they're both yummy and very good together!

Anonymous said...

You found blueberries?!? I'll have to keep my eyes open for those!

Hopie said...

Camille - I was very surprised, but they're out there once in a while! Good luck.

David said...

I am highly honored to be this week's Super Guest Star (is that a bigger star, even than Purple Twirling Spoon Kitty? A zillion points to anyone outside Hope's immediate family who can place that reference.) However, while I can take credit for inventing this recipe, I could never cook pancakes worth a damn. Mine were always flat, heavy and depressing, while Hope's were always light, perfectly browned and delicious. Proving that, while I may be a good kitchen technician, or perhaps kitchen chemist, Hope est le veritable chef.

Hopie said...

Dad - oh, it's definitely at least as big as purple twirling spoon kitty and much less scary for small children.

Well we make a good team!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I remember singing that song on multiple occasions, but I didn't realize it was popular outside our crazy family! I can't believe you remember that :)

Hopie said...

Mel - while that song may not have made it to carnegie hall, it certainly made it downhill to the bottom of Child St. ;-)

Katharine said...

For a 2-person batch I used one egg, 1/2 capful of vanilla, 1/2 C(almond) milk, 2 T each of the flours, a rounded 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 T sugar, 2 T oil - or for a one person batch two days in a row! Getting creative with making weekday breakfast for Laney. Great to have this recipe available in your archive. Thanks, ily, Mom

Hopie said...

Glad it's useful Mumsk, that was the original point of the blog afterall! I have to figure out how to put in a search feature so recipes are easy to find...