21 May 2008

Caramelized onion and goat cheese tart

En français ici.
Today's quiz : what's simple to make, doesn't cost a lot, tastes like heaven and may make your significant other propose (or, why not, propose again if you're already married)?

Caramelized onion and goat cheese tart, of course!


Well those of you who follow regularly may have noticed that there was, alas, no Sunday Baking this week. That is because I, personally, spent about 15 hours painting the new apt. between Saturday and Sunday and could hardly lift a fork to my mouth by end of each day, much less do any measuring/whisking/greasing pans, etc. Usually cooking relaxes me, but when your joints and muscles are turning into applesauce (I'm approximately translating from the French expression there) and you just want to eat and crawl into bed, it's not exactly the most calming of activities. Saturday we went out, but Sunday we still had to eat something and there was too much good food in the fridge to justify getting takeout.

Luckily, I had been perusing this amazing goat cheese cookbook called Pur Chèvre I got at the Salon du Livre and decided it was about time to test some of their recipes!

Ingredients:

1 pie crust (pâte brisé)
2 large onions
3 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp sugar
about 1/2 a goat cheese -- not too hard and not too fresh (the book suggests Selles-sur-cher, Sainte-maure de Touraine, or Valençay, but I just used a combination of two different ones that looked yummy at the market)
olive oil
salt

Preheat the oven to 400F. Slice and sauté the onions in the butter for 3-5 minutes. Add the sugar, stir well, and let cook another 3-5 minutes.

Roll out the pie crust and put it in a tart pan, mine looks like this (er, when it's empty):


You can put down wax paper first if you like, which is what the French tend to do...
Oil the crust inside the pan with a basting brush or your fingers and sprinkle on some salt. When the onions are ready, pour them into the tart and lay slices of goat cheese on top.

Cook for about 15 minutes until the goat cheese starts to turn golden. Let cool a few minutes (if you can wait!) and serve as an appetizer or a meal with salad or a fresh veggie. Tada!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, looks delicious! In case you haven't already gathered, I am a huge fan of goat cheese. And it may be less evident, but I am also a total sucker for caramelized onions. Yum! I have a dish that has already garnered TWO marriage proposals (neither from my actual husband) - chocolate eclairs. Tough to make in a tiny Parisian kitchen, though. :)

Anonymous said...

I want everything : the caramelized onion, the goat cheese, the chocolate eclair and the wedding!
Hopie?
Still alive...?

Hopie said...

Camille - Goat cheese is pretty amazing stuff, and there are so many different kinds to try here!
Oh man, I can see how good chocolate éclairs would have that effect. I hope you find a job soon at a place with a big kitchen where you can make some and then I can come over and eat them!

D.K. - First of all, you keep away from Camille's chocolate éclairs, you hear. I know you! ;-) And second of all, I'm still alive, but I seem to have gone deaf (or blind, rather) because I missed that last thing you said...

Anonymous said...

You mean, the part saying "AND THE WEDDING" ? Was it loud/big enough this time ? ;-)

Unknown said...

I'd ask you to marry me, but then D would probably beat me up! Instead, how about you two just come live next door to me, so I can come over for dinner all the time?

Cicero Sings said...

The tart sounds mighty yummy to me! D's pretty lucky! Is that d.k. the big D???? Just curious!

Are we getting pictures of the transformed living space .... soon??? Painting is NOT my favorite thing. Ugh. The fumes are enough to knock me out ... even with the best of quality paints. I sure don't envy you your weekend's work. I'm glad you survived with enough sanity and good will to post such a lovely recipe.

Hopie said...

d.k. - oh THAT, aha. See, I was right about the tart. Dangerous, dangerous recipe ;-)

Amy - Your plan b sounds lovely (and much safer than plan a, I have to say). We'd have to have dinner over at your house sometimes too because you're a very good cook! Maybe we could convince Camille to live nearby as well and make us chocolate eclairs and other pastries for dessert...

Cicero Sings - Indeed, you've de-masked D. (with a capital D.). I've noticed that we both have D.'s that hang around hoping we'll cook for them ;-)

I'm actually pretty bad at painting (one can't be good at everything!), so I get to do the stuff that doesn't have to look neat (the first coats, the inside of the closets, etc.). I'll definitely be putting up some pictures soon, especially of my new kitchen when it finally comes together!

Katharine said...

Oh, this does look so good. Please bring goat cheese home with you this summer so we can all indulge! And some spicy mustard please, for dressing the salad on the side :)
Love,
Mumsk

Hopie said...

Ok I'll write that down so I don't forget :-) Maybe we can make it in Rockport together overlooking the ocean!

David said...

Why do I have this image of a goat, at a wedding, wreaking havoc among the cheeses, eating all the onions, with guests trying to stop him by throwing chocolate eclairs, while the bride hides by wrapping herself in wax paper and the groom turns to applesauce?

Hopie said...

I think you might have seen Father of the Bride one too many times! (Either that or you should start writing screenplays.) Was Franc in there somewhere too?

Anonymous said...

this sounds good - i'll have to try this :)

Hopie said...

Tony - Oh, you definitely have to try it. I thought of you, actually, when I made it and how it would be your kind of thing. It's not spicy, so Ren might even eat it too ;-)