04 February 2008

Broccoli Stir Fry - Vegan!

En français ici.
Well Lily asked for vegan recipes and in keeping with the season, I've decided to add this recipe for broccoli stir fry. The broccoli is beautiful right now at the organic market where I go every Sat. and since most of what's in season is turnips, parsnips, radishes and brussel sprouts, none of which I like, I've been trying to get as creative as possible with broccoli (and potatoes of course -- more thoughts on that to come).

This recipe originally came from my mom, who promptly forgot it and asked me to teach it back to her, so this is for you too mom!


Ingredients :
1 large onion
1 head of broccoli
1 red or yellow pepper (optional)
1 cup veggie broth
2 Tbsp soy sauce (or other flavorful sauce)
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp cornstarch

Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan or wok. Chop and add onion and broccoli stems (if using). Cook 3-5 min. Chop and add broccoli and red pepper. Cook about 5 min and add veggie broth. (I like to boil the broth first so it's already hot.) Simmer until broccoli is tender (or as desired), another 3-5 min. Add soy sauce. In a small bowl combine the water and cornstarch until the corn is well blended with no clumps. When broccoli is cooked add cornstarch and water mixture. Stir well while sauce thickens for about 1 min. and serve.

This stir fry is good either as a side dish, or as a main dish with some rice or other grain. You can add tofu or chicken to make it more filling, but it's good without either of those as well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay vegan food! ren will love this. he's got a thing for broccoli (i'm only a little jealous).

Lily N said...

yayyyy! best sister ever! i love you!!!

Malar Gandhi said...

Sounds simple and tasty to me! I should try this some time. I also liked ur dessert recipes. Great work going there huh!

taxishoes said...

Mm, I wish I'd cooked this already so I could be eating it right now. Thanks for the recipe!

Hopie said...

Thanks Malar Ghandhi!

Ren - I didn't know you and broccoli had such a love story going on. :-) Well let me know what you think once you taste it.

Katharine said...

Hi - needed this recipe in a hurry tonight and found it by searching your blog for vegetarian dishes - yay! I used arrowroot instead of corn starch, water with crushed garlic instead of broth which meant I had to add salt and pepper, threw in tofu and tamari and it came out "awesome" according to Laney :)

Thanks, honey! Masking my life easier at that trying dinner hour! Love, Mom

Katharine said...

Hi - needed this recipe in a hurry tonight and found it by searching your blog for vegetarian dishes - yay! I used arrowroot instead of corn starch, water with crushed garlic instead of broth which meant I had to add salt and pepper, threw in tofu and tamari and it came out "awesome" according to Laney :)

Thanks, honey! Making my life easier at that trying dinner hour! Love, Mom